Joe Abbott's Weblog

Letters home to mom

  • Stuff posted on these days

    November 2008
    M T W T F S S
    « Oct   Dec »
  • Meta

  • Joe Abbott Musings

  • RSS Cat Cartoon w/o the Cartoon

    • Coda
      Posting these cat-cartoons-without-the-cartoon was a long journey that I don’t know if I’ll repeat soon again. A daily blog is tough … even when you have your material handed to you! But, I couldn’t have done it without the artwork … Continue reading →
    • December 31, 2011
      Father Time is riding out his last few minutes of being the temporal keeper for 2011; he sits in an easy chair with a calendar showing “Dec 31” behind him and a grandfather clock pointing to the time of 11:53. … Continue reading →
    • December 30, 2011
      A happy young lady shares a table at a tony restaurant with her cat; they both wear festive, cone-shaped party hats. The woman gaily says to the tuxedoed server, “One martini and one glass of milk.” The cat does not … Continue reading →

Saturday thru Tuesday – 11/8-11

Posted by joeabbott on November 12, 2008

It was a wonderful weekend.

We started out on Saturday (11/8) and headed down to Stevenson, WA and Skamania Lodge on the Columbia River. On the way down it was raining so we didn’t get to see many sights but it was a pleasant drive. We entered Oregon and drove east along the coast and then at the Bridge of the Gods, we headed back into Washington. Within minutes we were at Skamania.

The trip was fun in that everyone was in high spirits. Whether it was my mom showing a bit of excitement at experiencing her first toll bridge (one dollar for the use of the Bridge of the Gods), Suzy taking her turn at driving as I was more tired the usual, or all for laughing at my dumb jokes. It was good to be off and out for someplace new.

At Skamania we enjoyed a complimentary cup of coffee or cocoa and then checked into the rooms and then were off again. We journeyed to the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center for an hour of walking about. We showed up just an hour before they closed so they reduced our entrance fee. All very fine as an hour of history and culture of the area was just what felt good.

After that we headed back to the Lodge for an hour of quiet time (i.e., napping) before enjoying a wonderful dinner in the restaurant. We all enjoyed the meal immensely and at 2 hours of eating, talking, and people watching we were ready to call it a day when we finished around 8:30. Quite a day.

On Sunday we drove out to see the Maryhill Museum, then the Sam Hill Stonehenge replica memorial, and then up to our rooms in Quincy at the Cave B Inn.

It was just over 200 miles of driving and we didn’t stop much after the Stonehenge momument; we were concerned about getting to Cave B in time to see the sunset over the Columbia. As it was, we had more of a “slow darkening” than any sort of sunset.

That night we shared dinner with Suzanne’s dad and his wife, Edy. Again, good company and a wonderful dinner allowed the several hour affair pass very amiably. Richard, Suzanne’s dad, got me a goofy birthday hat and a toy spinner that was fun. Mercifully he didn’t insist that I wear the hat throughout the meal. Phew!

The night was quite chilly but we had a fireplace in the room and had just the best sleep. Well, there was the issue of some sort of rodent gnawing about in the evening outside our place but he didn’t disturb us long. Peaceful sleep!

In the AM we had a nice breakfast and then walked about the property before hopping into the car and heading back to Seattle. It was nice to be home but we didn’t rush too much … we still enjoyed a stop at a fruit stand and a quick fill up. The clouds were wonderful coming across Snoqualmie Pass; very dramatic.

At home we rested a bit before running an errand to Costco (getting some food for the coming week) and then settling in to reading, chatting, and playing a few hands of cribbage. All very nice!

On Tuesday I got up early and dug into work. Most of the day was spent getting caught up, chasing a few details, and then starting to compile some notes. Tomorrow will be a more normal day (I hope!).

At 10 I stopped work and our landscapper, Wes dropped in to talk about a job he’s doing for us. We wanted our driveway lined with some stone and we have curb-to-garage rock. Not the accent pieces we were thinking of and a much more industrial feel. Wes was very good about it and said he’d pick out a bunch of the rock to give the look we wanted.

After that we took my mom to IKEA. Yup, IKEA of all places. She’d never been to one and we needed a few housewares. One’s close so …. off we went.

Over the course of the next couple hours we managed to spend too much but get some stuff for the house. We had lunch and mom got the traditional plate of meatballs. It just went to prove that we could have a fun time whether at some nice lodge on the Columbia or shopping with the hordes at IKEA.

Back at home I finished a woodworking project I’d started (building bird houses for all of us to paint) and Suzanne cooked a fabulous meal we all enjoyed. It was a super good day.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: